Welcome to eteach.com. Looking for Jobs in Education?

16 Feb 2009

Teaching in the fabulous city of Istanbul....

Hello from Istanbul! My name is Phil and I’m a teacher of mathematics at a private school in this fabulous city.

I began teaching in 1984 at a large comprehensive in West London, but I always wanted to experience life outside of the UK, and after three years I realised that it was ‘now or never time’ and began looking for jobs.


As I don’t teach English, I assumed my options would be very few (don’t ask me why – I just did), but I soon found out that this just wasn’t true. There really are jobs for all of you! Personally, I didn’t want to work in an English speaking country - that didn’t seem exciting enough, but despite the enormous respect I have for those who build schools (and, in turn, communities) in deprived regions of the world, I didn’t feel confident enough to choose that path either. I saw an advert for a mathematics post in Istanbul, and despite having very little knowledge of either the city or Turkey, decided that it met my basic criteria, and four days later I signed a one year contract.

I arrived here in September 1987, and after signing to stay on for a second year, met Ilknur, a (Turkish) English teacher. We married in 1990 and we have a daughter aged 16 and twin daughters aged 11.

I worked for 8 years at my first school here, then 10 years at a second, and now I am in my fourth year at my present post. I have mostly taught years 9 to 11, but have also had spells teaching years 6 to 8.

My students are Turkish, but they study mathematics and science lessons in English. This system has its critics (from both educational and political standpoints) but the feedback I have received over the years from ex-students is overwhelmingly positive. Those who have gone on to the world of academia speak of the advantages they have when keeping up with new research; whilst others simply mention how much easier it is to do business when the main protagonists share a common language. With all the new ideas that have come and gone over the past 30 years in the UK, I am rather surprised that you don’t have any similar options. Schools with a working language of, for example, German, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, or Chinese would help in breaking the mould of the ‘Little Englander’, and would also be of immense benefit economically.

I will be writing again over the coming months about aspects of living and working in Turkey, but if anyone would like my views and/or advice on a particular topic then please get in touch and I will do my best to help if possible.

Mutlu Olun! (Be Happy!)


Phil

4 comments:

  1. The blogs is very useful for the users of internet,I also lie this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Phil.
    I am from Ukraine. I would like to teach Russian or English in Istanbul but my level of Turkish is basic. Can you help me to find a job or give me some advice how to find? My e-mail is inessa_inessa@hotmail.com

    Thank you,

    Inessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil,

    I am an Australian teacher. At the end of last year I took leave from my job and did 3 months touring Europe. I fell in love with Turkey and am keen to return to Istanbul to teach. I have extensive experience (now in my 12th year of teaching) in the early childhood area. I'm looking for a posting in a private or international school. Your website seems to be the only one I have googled with current (2009) information. It is also now or never time for me. Do you have any suggestions as to where to start putting the feelers out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I am very much interested working in Istanbul.Could you help me in finding a job for me?

    ReplyDelete

Post your views on this post. We look forward to hearing from you!